Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So uh, my boss is the greatest person ever.

Before my final presentation, we came to the mutual conclusion that one of my projects was fucked. Wasn't my fault. I was supposed to calculate amount of waste product generated and estimated time spent switching between various products (changeover time) based off of the way the lines are currently running...one line ran 150% of the "alotted" time for changeovers last month. The month before that, they ran only like 5% over. That's pretty much how it was since April. So when my boss's boss saw all the data and saw how I hadn't calculated all that stuff because of the bad data, she was like "yeah...don't worry about that, there's nothing you can really do and it isn't your fault it all"

My boss before my presentation was like "Hm...that...yeah...you really can't do anything about that...I assigned you this project before I realized how screwed up the process is down there. I didn't know until like 2 weeks ago (we found out the same data at the same time through different meetings)...so...yeah, just present this and say that this is how it is and that you can't do much about it"

During my presentation, my boss's boss's boss asked a question as to what all this data meant for my project...my boss explained that the current situation is so bad that no one can do any meaningful data analysis from it...she would know, she's now assigned on a team to figure out how to fix the problem. After like 2 more minutes of questioning, she changed the reason why I didn't have results calculated to:

"Oh, well, he spent too much time on one of his other projects and didn't focus on this one enough. In hindsight, I would have told him to start this project a lot earlier."

This was during my presentation. Afterwards I was just like "...wtf...show some backbone and respect to your intern...especially when he's literally standing right in front of you"

During our "presentation review," she told me that the reason why I didn't have deliverables on this project was because I didn't start working on it early enough and that it was my fault I had nothing to show in terms of theoretical calculations for waste product generated and changeover times.

When she said that I was just like "Man, it's a good thing I don't care about a job offer from this place, holy shit, I just got thrown under a semi-trailer truck towing a bus made of lead"

No comments:

Post a Comment